Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Down by the Canal

Dear Diary,

Four more of the little local parks I've been ignoring are close to the ship canal.  As befits the location, only one of these is mainly about its land; but as if to make up for that, three of them have regular Seattle parks signage.

(For anyone keeping score at home on the basis of the lists I wrote in you, dear Diary, last week, I goofed and left two of these out of them, thinking they were west of I-5.  In fact, one is east of it, the other under it.)

Fritz Hedges Waterway Park


The parks department website speaks of this in the future tense, and in this case they aren't out of date (although the projected completion date is):
It sounds like it'll include some land and also have a boat ramp.  It's on Boat St, not far from Recycled Cycles.

The next two are the ones I mistakenly omitted from my list.  They're both on the south side of the block of Northlake Way between 6th and 7th Avenues.

Northlake Park

The website's discussion of this explains what it is not, who owns it, and other confusing topics.  Near as I saw, it's a viewpoint; sorry I screwed up the photo:
It does have a park sign, though:

This is the one I left out that's east of I-5.

North Passage Point


This is the one, of these four, that currently is mainly about its land, which is directly under I-5.  I saw a couple having a picnic and a man sleeping.  (I sure wish someone would do something about all us homeless people!)  As you may have noticed, I try to leave people out of the pictures I post here, not wanting to negotiate image rights while socially distanced, so I had a hard time getting a shot of the four geese present:
It does, of course, offer another view of the water:
And its paved path has lots of insets, alternating simple and complex; I picked this one not as a favourite, couldn't choose, but because of a graffito on the pavement there, of a scared-looking ghost, in red, that I can only hope you can see in this photo:

Peace Park


This isn't on the canal, but is essentially built into one of the bridges over the canal, the University Bridge.  I didn't remember that it's a formal park, rather than an unexplained collection of similarly themed artworks:
The park sign calls this sculpture "Sadako and the Thousand Cranes", and I've seen many origami cranes left there, but Seattle weather being what it is, on this visit there were Easter candies instead.  Nearby:

I've often wondered what wonders might lie down the stairs from the area I knew, but never enough to find out with my heavy satchels.  Sorry, though, it isn't all that exciting after all:
Anyway, it's easy to miss the park sign, which is the furthest from the bridge of the park's main elements:

All for now, dear Diary; I decided to combine the other post I'd considered for tonight (University Heights Plaza) with some other loose ends coming up.  Wish me luck, dear Diary:  I'm setting out tomorrow on a long hike with the damaged cart.  Until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment