Friday, July 17, 2020

Two Yet Anothers

Hello, dear Diary,

I've missed you so much!  Have you missed me?  Let me explain my silence:

Yet Another Thief

Last Thursday, I lay down on the bench I've mentioned to you, dear Diary, before, and fell asleep, unfortunately having first decided that my new trousers' pockets were too small to fit my charging phone into.  As a result, I now have a much smaller phone, which will certainly fit in my pocket while charging.  Isn't it wonderful how that sort of thing works out?

As a side effect, I'm having to write in you from the Northeast branch of the Seattle Public Library, instead of from campus.  I saw a sign en route that I liked:
Sorry about the flash burn, but part of the reason I'm writing this page in you, dear Diary, is to test the new phone's camera.  Anyway, I should know fairly soon whether the hike to Northeast will become an ongoing change.

Yet Another Park Not Parks'

Even before the theft I'd gotten lazy about visiting parks, as I've previously mentioned to you, dear Diary.  So my dishes were piling up, and today I finally went to Laurelhurst Community Center to wash them.  This trip for the first time I noticed something funny about the north side of 45th St, especially from 43rd to 45th Avenues:
So on my way back, I crossed the street and investigated.

I once, briefly, was a geography major, but you wouldn't know it from how long I spent wondering whose this park was.  It is, of course, actually the main campus of Seattle Children's Hospital.  But this campus's southern edge really does, for several blocks, do a pretty good imitation of a park.

Starting from 45th Ave, the least parklike bit is where tall trees and such are planted to hide parking lots and a bus stop.  But west of that, we get this:
Huh.  The flowers' colours came through better than I'd expected.

The part of the Trueman Katz Sculpture Garden that isn't behind a currently locked fence is two sculptures, neither of which really worked for me, but the walk is pleasant and there are wooden benches to rest on.  I don't know, only hope, that there are more sculptures behind the fence.

Beyond 43rd Ave, another locked fence blocks access to a playground, but by that point the hospital buildings are easily visible despite the trees, and this park not Parks' is pretty much over.  I saw no water fountains or restrooms.

Dear Diary, I lost all photos I'd taken, a handful of personal ones and dozens meant for you.  I'm probably going to redo some of the long hike to replace them; you'll remember, of course, that I needed to revisit one of the remaining parks anyway.  But we'll see.  Until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment