Friday, August 7, 2020

My Book of Hours, part I: July 17 to 21

 Dear Diary,

Hello again!  I'm sorry it's been so long, but I'd tackled a long project which I only recently finished, after which I really needed some downtime.  So now at last I can report on it.

The short version:  Park restrooms are indeed on their non-"peak" schedule.

The long version:

I went to each local park pair of restrooms that was open during the project - Burke-Gilman Playground Park's, Laurelhurst Community Center's, the upper and lower pairs in Ravenna Park, and finally Cowen Park's.  I observed five restroom openings or closings at each, except six at Cowen Park.  Because I could rarely see both doors at once, and because I didn't want to have to decide whether a restroom had been opened when it was unlocked or when the staffer left it, I recorded times based on what I saw.

Each of the 26 occasions had these features:  A man (I saw no women) drove up in a white Seattle Parks and Recreation pickup truck, along a path vehicles don't normally take, parked in a place vehicles don't normally park, but close to the restrooms, got out and locked or unlocked them, did whatever else they might do, then got back into the trucks and drove away.

So although I sometimes recorded other events, including lockings or unlockings, I focused on the time the pickup's engine stopped, and especially the time it started again.

I took notes of times, and took a video at upper Ravenna and photos at lower Ravenna and especially Cowen Parks, but I remember the least from the first park I did, Burke-Gilman, partly because it's the only one I didn't spend even one whole day at.  (There isn't much shade near those restrooms.)

July 17

At Burke-Gilman Playground Park I usually got a spot adjacent to the men's room, from which I couldn't see the women's room at all.  The parking was usually adjacent to, but not in, a parking lot. The opening was from 7:50 to 7:53 A.M., meaning the truck engine stopped at 7:50 and restarted at 7:53.  I missed the closing, which was completed by 7:09 P.M.

July 18

Same park.   Opening 6:31 to 6:33 A.M.  Closing  ~5:20 P.M. arrival, 6:06 locking (yes, both rooms), 6:07 departure.  (The driver cleaned the restrooms and did other things in between.  This driver had parked further from the restrooms and my spot.)

July 19

Same park.  Opening 7:32 to 7:35 A.M.  Closing - I missed the arrival (I was finishing a book, and not in my usual spot) but know it was after 7:00 P.M.; locking 7:14, departure 7:15.

July 20

Laurelhurst Community Center and Playfield.  The restrooms are in the former, but I observed from a bench in the latter, the one closest to the restrooms, facing the tennis courts.  A parking lot is not far from the usual pickup parking place, but also not as close as at BGPP.  I stayed at the park the whole two days, since it's so hard to reach, and when the bench had too much sun to read on my phone, watched the tennis players, and to a lesser extent the tennis.  Opening (by the gentleman I'd met at Northacres Park) 7:49 to 7:52 A.M.  Closing 6:40 to 6:49 P.M., delayed by the employee's interactions with me (I told him about a problem; he fixed it; he gave me some food); locking was at 6:45.

July 21

Same park.  Opening 6:36 to 6:41 A.M. (unlocking ~6:37; employee then used one of the restrooms).  Closing 7:19 to 7:20 P.M.


No comments:

Post a Comment