Monday, November 30, 2020

Six Parks in Search of Another

Dear Diary,

It's embarrassing to be so far behind with you that I'm still narrating to you hikes from mid-October, practically summer.  But if it's any consolation, this page and another I plan to write in you today feature photographs taken today.  There was a park mystery, and last night I had to visit the 24-hour restroom at View Ridge Playfield, spent the night in that park's shelter shiveringly trying to sleep, and finally this morning set out to resolve that mystery, plus some smaller mysteries, and take some pictures.  So this page, and the one I intend to write Wednesday, won't all be summer hikes.

On October 12, then, I took 15th Ave from Sacajawea Playground, where I left off in the last page, to Northgate Way.  I'd noticed Patty's Eggnest at its Holman Road location, and that morning I felt rich enough to get breakfast at the Northgate one, an omelet I ate in a bus shelter.  Then I went and splurged some more, at Target, whose elevators had been fixed, getting umbrellas, and a cap to replace one that had fallen off my cart once there were masks under it, boosting it too high.

Which brings me to something important.  I had, both on June 27 while visiting the 'last seven' parks, and on October 12, nine masks.  Three were gifts, and six I bought myself, at Target.  These six are very well designed, because they not only cover my mouth and nose, but for even better protection, my eyes as well.  Unfortunately, my glasses objected to this, and the rainy day June 27, when I first visited the 'last seven' parks, the mask, which I was then wearing for the first time, fought back, in particular by serving as a slide down which the glasses could fall off my nose.

I admit, for the hike that was finally, on October 12, nearing its end, I wimped out and chose one of the three masks I'd been given, instead.

Anyway, fortified by food, I set off again.  This hike had a number of objectives:  First, to check on water fountains in North Seattle.  Second, to replace the photographs of some parks that I'd lost when my phone was stolen in July.  By October 12, that meant mostly what I'd thought, on June 27, were the last seven North Seattle parks I hadn't visited.  Third, to visit parks I'd learnt of since.  And fourth, to settle various questions about parks along the way, and photograph some of those I hadn't photographed before.

Northgate Park

Introduced May 29 in "South to and from Northgate".

Free-standing water fountain more or less mid-park:  NOT RUNNING.

Northgate Park turns out to be oddly bifurcated, its north side full of concrete and, well, weird stuff:

the south, well, not:

I stayed by the Northgate branch of the Seattle Public Library there for a while, catching up on Wi-Fi stuff, but not writing in you, dear Diary.

Maple Leaf Community Garden

This was one of the 'last seven'; in fact, three of those are introduced in this page, and since I covered three in "Lake City Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us!", that leaves only one for the pages ahead.  This one is near 5th Ave on 103rd St, actually across that street from Beaver Pond Natural Area, which, however, I didn't visit this time.

In June when I first visited, I found men working to build it, but by October it was a fully functioning ...
P-patch?

Actually the Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation lists in its part of the Seattle real property report (which is where the list of the 'last seven' came from) several P-patches, including two of the 'last seven'.  It isn't usual, and it's worth asking why each time, but it isn't extraordinary.

In this case, my guess is that the Department of Neighborhoods, the usual custodian of P-patches, maybe doesn't have as much experience taking care of gorgeous old buildings, like the tower that dominates this 'park', as the parks department has.



But that's only a guess.

Victory Creek Confluence Natural Area

This next 'last seven' park is where Victory Creek, as in Victory Creek Park a few blocks north, meets the south branch of Thornton Creek.  Or maybe it's just somewhere near the actual confluence.  It's hard to tell, because its size as reported, a quarter acre, is nowhere near the size of the woods around the confluence, and of course there's no signage:



(12/15 edit) There's a video embedded there, but near as I can tell, Blogspot is not currently allowing me to write pages that show readers of you, dear Diary, embedded videos.  (This may be a general thing, or may be specific to me; dunno.)  The other recent page for which this is an issue is "A Problem", which is all about problems with videos and includes a pointer to its video at YouTube.  Here's a pointer to this video at YouTube.  What the video shows is lots of woods, with no sign singling out one quarter-acre as a public park.

So in this page's title, "Six Parks in Search of Another" (with apologies to Pirandello, who wrote a play whose English title I like, but I still haven't read or seen the play), Victory Creek Confluence Natural Areais the "Another".

In case you want to look for yourself, the official address is 1039 NE 108th St, although my Rand McNally map claims the actual confluence is between 11th and 12th Avenues.  The relevant instance of 108th St can be reached from Roosevelt Way.

Victory Creek Park

Introduced in the same page as Northgate Park.  I didn't go back to this frustrating park on this hike, so no, it isn't one of the title's "six parks".  Rather, I found out while writing this page that the frustrating thing about it - the absence of the picnic tables and playground its sign claims it has - was planned (PDF) as far back as 2018, and presumably happened by the time of my first visit in May.

Victory Heights Playground

Introduced in the same page as Northgate and Victory Creek Parks.

Two water fountains attached to the Victory Heights Co-op Preschool - NOT RUNNING

Note that this makes eleven, not ten, water fountain sites in North Seattle attached to heated buildings, and five, not four, of those not running this year.  (See the digression in the recent page "To a Land of Water and Honey".)

This time I took a picture of the translucent playground equipment I thought was neat in May.  Unfortunately the weather wasn't cooperative in allowing me also to photograph the coloured shadows they cast.

I actually didn't take any notes about the water fountains on October 12.  So when I was done with Meadowbrook, as narrated below, I came back to Victory Heights.  Well, no, that isn't quite true.  On my October visit, I'd found an entire fantasy trilogy I'd enjoyed, in hardcover at a nearby Little Free Library, but was in no position to carry them away.  I talked myself into coming back to see if they were still there, today, and since I didn't find the book bin before reaching the park ...  The books weren't there when I did find it.  I have two reasons for thinking the water fountains weren't running in October:  1) I remember my relief at finally finding a working fountain at Meadowbrook later that day, and 2) the fountains didn't have much tree litter in them today, but they had too much to have been shut off a week or two ago.

Lavilla Meadows Natural Area

This is the third and last of this page's 'last seven' parks.  It's well hidden, but actually findable.

First, find Fischer Place, a diagonal connecting the Victory Heights neighbourhood with the Meadowbrook one.  Exit Victory Heights; on foot, one can do this at 102nd St.  Cross Lake City Way somewhere that seems safe.  Fischer Place starts opposite 102nd, and goes up to 105th west of 27th Ave.

On Fischer, look for Lavilla Dairy.  Go in back to the parking lot.  Behind the parking lot you should find this:
and this:

It's over four acres, so it's probably all the woods behind Fischer Place.

Meadowbrook Playfield

Introduced May 6 in "Go North, Aging Man!".

Free-standing water fountain near the picnic shelter shown two pages ago - ON, and overflowing enough that I couldn't use it.  (Today, however, it was of course NOT RUNNING.)

Water fountain attached to the restroom building west of there - NOT RUNNING October 12; I don't think I bothered today

Free-standing water fountain near the tennis courts, furthest west - ON, and my first chance that day to fill my water bottles; I didn't pass near it today.

The relief a working water fountain gave me that day left me feeling kinda guilty when I left the park without having found a single thing I wanted to photograph.  So when I got there today, I was determined to fix it.

See, the problem is general.  Playfields, in Seattle's hierarchy of parks, are mainly for big grassy areas for sports (specifically baseball), and even though I played in Little League, I don't find these photogenic.  So I always have to more or less do an end run around the park's whole reason for being, find some angle, and Meadowbrook had always seemed angle-free to me.

But the October visit was the first on which (because of Fischer Place) I'd approached along 105th, and noticed a lot of rather un-playfield-like land, greenswards and woods and just disorganised compared to the square playfield norm.

So first of all, yes, there's a brook at Meadowbrook.


It creates something of a view from a well-placed picnic bench:


But a square enough reader might prefer the picture I took first, cynically, figuring playgrounds are always safe, even though I find this one as bland as the rest of the playfield:

(Seattle Public Utilities) Meadowbrook Pond Nature Refuge

This was the mystery I set out to solve this morning.  At Matthews Beach there's a map of the Thornton Creek watershed, and it shows a park right across the street from Meadowbrook Playfield.  I needed another park to make up the six, not wanting to use Hubbard Homestead, which I still haven't photographed and in which I'd most recently done Number One.  So I thought I'd go solve it.

Well, there isn't much mystery.  This park not Parks' of course doesn't have usual parks department signage; it also doesn't actually have much frontage on 35th Ave.  So for someone as unobservant as me to miss it made sense, but it was there all along.

It doesn't have any restrooms or water fountains, but I fell in love with it and took scads of pictures anyway, too many for this page.  In fact, although I'd planned to put one here as a teaser, Blogspot won't let me.  So that's why, dear Diary, I plan to write two pages in you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment