Friday, January 8, 2021

Hike 2B: Magnuson Park "Sanican"s 74th+

Dear Diary,

Shall we just get on with this?

After visiting the real Community Center, as recounted in the previous page, I went to a site where the newer on-site map said a "sanican" should be, but I'd never found one, the area between Magnuson Park's sports fields 6 and 11.  Somehow in "Tentatively Answered", last May, I'd photographed this as a boring stretch of road.  I didn't recognise it at all this time:


I don't know how obvious it is, but the reason there's a big fold, so to speak, in field 6 there, seems to be the turf replacement project the sign is about.  It was 12:30 P.M.; maybe all the workers were at lunch.  Anyway, it's perfectly plausible that with the field closed long-term, the "sanican" would've been moved elsewhere.  (Field 11 has another at its next corner, as we'll see.)

Next up, the playground and parking lot W6, which is marked "Jr. League Lot" on the picnic shelter map (PDF).  In the past I'd found the "sanican"s on a pavement between the two.  The first one I saw was well to the left, facing the playground from the parking lot.


The HSD map predicted an ADA "sanican", and here one was.  Later, when I remembered I was meaning to check on sanitiser, this was the only one in this set without a bottle.

Well to the right, and above - I'm pretty sure that one is in the parking lot, not above it - were three regular ones:


So far so good, just as HSD said.  But wait...


Is this one for the construction workers?  There are a lot of fences like that in that area, some blocking major paths but others, like that one, easy to walk around.  The usual clarity with which construction sites are separated off is decidedly missing.  Also, this one is emphatically within W6, though only a few feet from the pavement the others are on.

Anyway, here's the one at a western entrance to the area where dogs let their people off leash:


I only found after leaving this area that I hadn't photographed the dogs' plumbing last time either.  Oops.

In May I reported one northwest of the Brig.  This time it was due north or maybe a little northeast, and clearly associated with the nearby P-Patch.


Oh, and yes, it had spawned.  These are the first that clearly count as "various", one of each; separately, we're up to 8 total, three ADA.

Up north I found the one by the Mountaineers' building:


but not the one at the coast.

Only after returning from that did I remember that I'd meant to check sanitiser.  This is something of a production, you see, dear Diary, gloves on to touch the "sanican"s but off to turn my phone on, and most of these shots had me walking away from my cart where the gloves were...  So the only specific ones I remember checking are the playground set, which I did before turning south.

The map explained that I'd have to hike Sportsfield Drive to get to 65th St, because there were two sites along the way.  This hike proved far less traumatic than a previous one.  The first site is between fields 10 and 11, as promised above:


These are "various" 4 and 5, and the total is up to 11.  Apparently I remembered to bring my gloves for the trip from my cart inside that fence, because here is where I decided to illustrate for you, dear Diary, what a "sanican"'s dispenser looks like when there is a bottle of sanitiser in it.


Notice how the doohickey hangs not quite straight down.

The next one, between fields 9 and 10, is outside the fence, and I had to wait while a passing driver used it.  I'm pretty sure it lacked sanitiser.


So that's 6 various (1 ADA) out of 12 (3 ADA), and we've reached 65th St, so this page is done.


No comments:

Post a Comment