Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Hikes 12 and 14: All Night Long, Redux

Dear Diary,

We're entering a new era.  This is the second page, not the first, about hikes I've taken since getting housed - more specifically, hikes I've taken without my cart.  But this is also more or less the first page since December not mainly concerned with the lies put forward by the city government in the form of a map purporting to show restrooms open this past winter.  The map's still there, mind, and I'll check its summer edition starting soon, but for now we're free of it.

In hike 12, I re-visited most of the park restrooms in North Seattle that I thought might be open all night; that hike extended from March 25 to March 26.  In hike 14, I followed up things I thought I'd seen in Woodland Park that night, going there in the evening but with light still in the sky, April 4.  So "All Night Long" really applies mostly to hike 12, but I did pay that topic a bit of attention in hike 14, and it made no sense to split the two hikes up.  Anyway, here goes.

Hike 12 - March 25 to 26

I took only a few photos on this very long hike at night.

Woodland Park

The "Cloverleaf" restrooms were closed at 9:25 P.M.; the sign saying they were only open dawn to dusk was still up at the men's room but gone at the women's room.  The Curative COVID testing site that had been east of those restrooms, and had had "sanican"s nearby, was no longer there, but the "sanican"s were.  The "Rio" restrooms were closed at 9:31 P.M., and again there was still a sign at the men's but not at the women's.  This struck me as such an odd pattern (usually signs last longer at women's rooms) that this time I took photos, the only ones I took that night at Woodland or Green Lake Parks:



The "50th St" restrooms were open at 9:47 P.M., the "Pink Palace" ones at 10:03, and the "lawn bowling" ones were closed at 10:08 P.M.

I got the distinct impression that far fewer tents were visible in the areas of Woodland Park I visited that night than I'd have expected to see based on prior night visits.  Also, when I went downhill from the "Pink Palace" to Green Lake Park, I noticed no extension cords crossing that road, where there had formerly been three; but there was one I hadn't noticed before, crossing the path from the "Pink Palace" to the "lawn bowling" restrooms.  Someone on the west side of that path (away from the shelters) had used to run a loud generator quite often, but it was silent that night.  Essentially these were the topics that brought me back to Woodland Park ten nights later.

Green Lake Park

The "Shellhouse" restrooms were closed at 10:21 P.M.  The "65th St" ones were open at 10:34.  The Community Center ones were closed at around 10:50, and there was caution tape across the entrance to the stairs to the women's room, but not the men's.  (See what I mean, dear Diary?)  The "wading pool" rooms were open at 11:00, and the "Bathhouse" pair were closed at 11:14.

I bought a newspaper on my way to the next park.  I'd been buying them, mindful of the Seattle Times's role in my becoming housed, but I also wanted to use this one as a prop; I had the fantasy that I'd tell you, dear Diary, about this hike before the next newspaper came out.  Um, sure.  Anyway, here's its front page, so people who read you can identify it in the upcoming photos:

Hey, speaking of which, I got vaccinated today, with the Johnson & Johnson single-shot vaccine.  I can hardly wait.  Within a year I might even be able to forget about masks, and wear glasses in public again.

Carkeek Park

I found the restrooms open at 1:04 A.M.:



I found a dramatic change at one of the "sanican"s, the one at the Environmental Learning Center which had been full of experimental gear and papers.  Observe:


That sign in more detail:


Ooh, I'd forgotten that lock.  Let's see - has the map I'd been checking noticed that lock yet?  No, it has not:


It sees three "restrooms" at Carkeek Park, which means the entire restroom building as one plus two "sanican"s.  But only one of the "sanican"s was available that night, and I bet that's still true.  Since I've been calling the authors of the map liars pretty much every time I write in you, dear Diary, I haven't been e-mailing corrections to them, but I hope they notice this one before the century, or anyway the mayoral term, ends.

View Ridge Playfield

Its restrooms were open at 4:35 A.M.:


So that's every park restroom I believed to be open 24 hours this past winter in North Seattle, except those at Gas Works Park, which had been officially announced so were, I figured, very unlikely to be closed.  Sooner or later, I'll also check on the claim from last year (denied then by Rachel Schulkin of the Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation) that the restrooms at Bitter Lake Playfield are open 24 hours.  But in the meantime...

Hike 14 - April 4

Woodland Park

My goals for this hike were to observe by day the changes in number of tents, and access to electricity, that I thought I'd seen the night of March 25.  But one of the easiest ways to judge access to electricity is to be around when the sun has recently set, so I went pretty late.  I found the "Pink Palace" restrooms open and the "lawn bowling" restrooms closed at around 7:30 P.M., the "50th St" ones open at 7:45.

There were indeed no electrical cords crossing the road from the tennis courts up to the "Pink Palace" and nearby shelters, as had been there in the past.  One, which I don't think was one of the former three, was present, but not going anywhere:


For something to do while I waited for the sun to set more fully, I wandered around exploring.  This helped me get a clearer picture of the largely unmapped park, but also brought me within view of various "sanican"s, which reminded me of the Curative site.

They'd put up a sign:


Where all the "sanican"s in Woodland Park had been across the path from the testing site, now they were scattered hither and yon, so only one stands behind that sign.  An ADA one had moved to the testing site's new location, near the Citywide Athletics Building and the closed "Rio" restrooms.  This photo is pretty dark, but the testing site is the blue and white box on the left, the ADA "sanican" the green box on the far right:

What looks like another ADA one had moved to the opposite end of the path through the cloverleaf (Leo Lassen) baseball fields, to face the north tennis courts:

When I went back uphill, I found darkness prevalent not only around shelters 1, 2, 3 and 7, whose campers had never had electricity, but also around shelter 4, which had had access to it.  Shelter 6, which I suspect may be the only source, was really the only brightly lit thing around, other than the restrooms; what tents remained near it (they'd be to its right in this photo) were in darkness:


I took that photo at 8:23 P.M.; this visit didn't take all that long.  Soon after, I ran into a Real Change worker calling himself Merlin.  He and a companion with whom I didn't talk much had both spent a lot more years homeless than I had.  He said the park's population hadn't changed, but more campers were hiding.  However, he estimated the population at 50 or 60, and I was pretty sure I'd seen more tents than that in October.  He speculated that maybe the generator I hadn't heard (again) had stopped working.

PubliCola reported today that the sweep of Gilman Playground has been scheduled and that of University Playground has already happened.  Here we see that even the favoured campers at Woodland Park are losing the gifts they'd been receiving.  It's important to remember, while COVID-19 continues to stalk the land, that our city government is already in a post-COVID world, in which it can indulge its love of cruelty to the homeless after too long an abstention, without risking public health by doing so.  Must be nice.  I wonder; if I worked for the city, could I already be forgetting masks and wearing glasses again?

But if the city is really in a post-COVID world, why aren't the community centers, pools, and libraries re-opening?

Maybe the city just considers mistreating the homeless a greater public good than following CDC recommendations or re-opening libraries.  Beats me.  But camping in parks is looking to be a riskier and riskier strategy, and I expect to find even Woodland Park becoming less welcoming - and less populous - as the days go on.

Partly because of my vaccination, I've planned to spend the next couple of days housebound, dear Diary, among other things doing some behind the scenes work on you that having a laptop makes possible.  The Gilman sweep is apparently scheduled for Friday, and I have an errand in Ballard sometime soon, so we'll see.  I also have errands soon that should enable me to see what's happened at University Playground.  But I probably can't stay housed and also be much of a real reporter with my ear to the ground for you, dear Diary; and at some point, my long expectation that I'd be done writing you may well come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment