Friday, June 24, 2022

Crescent Place Yesterday

Dear Diary,

Wow, it's been a long time.  I've been hard at work, but not at a paying job, and also not on law libraries or the titles and artists of downtown parks' art works, to name a couple of outstanding obligations I have towards you.

But not at a paying job, anyway, and yesterday, fearing that that might continue a while (it's actually gotten through my thick head that the only occupation without a labour shortage in the US right now is mine, clerical work), I went to North Seattle College to sign up for food stamps again at the DSHS office there.  (I'm not in danger of becoming homeless for two more months, but would've run out of cash for food much sooner, in a week if I were really stingy.)  On the way there, I walked along E Green Lake Way and Drive for a while.  But although I'd planned my trip while looking at a map, I decided to take what appeared to be a shortcut.  It was, of course, not an actual shortcut; at least for someone going northwest, Meridian Ave off E Green Lake Drive connects only to Orin Court.

But this brought me to the only Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation park in North Seattle whose location I knew, but that I hadn't yet visited, because the only time I'd tried before, it was blocked by a block party.

So I took a picture of Crescent Place, which is basically a very big traffic circle with a very big bush in it, which turns out to have a clearing in its centre suitable for kids to play in.


I'm not sure how apparent it is in that photo, but the parks department is storing several items there, in that clearing, including a ladder.  My first reaction was that that was totally inappropriate for a space obviously meant for kids to play in, but then I realised that at age seven or so, I'd probably have found the signs and ladder part of the fun of being there.  Of course, some parents might think twice about giving their kids access to a ladder, but you can't have everything.

Anyway, I hope to get back to the law libraries in a week or two, but don't know when my impecunious state will enable me to hang around downtown checking up on art.  Nor when I'll be able to face the emotional toll finishing the downtown series actually properly - that is, by explaining Seattle's long and illustrious career of keeping the downtown parks devoid of restrooms - will require.  And also, I now lack cash to buy more than a few newspapers with which to date my water fountain and restroom door shots.  But until I return, dear Diary, happy times, and cheerful thoughts of Crescent Place.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment