Tuesday, September 10, 2024

A Requiem for Seventy-Seven Bus Stops, part IV: Sources

Dear Diary,

My main sources for this page are the photos I've taken while hiking, the photos I took of transit maps, and the bus schedules I haven't discarded since getting housed.  However, I've also used some other sources.

Bus schedules

The best way to get these, I think, is to go to Metro's customer service office at 2nd and Jackson.  Almost everywhere else they're distributed, they're geographically focused.  Unfortunately, I didn't find out about that office until September 2021, so the oldest set of schedules I have, has gaps.

Transit maps

I've put all these photos into my Google Drive account, and the links point to them.

I certainly haven't looked carefully at all of these maps.

The ones in bold face came from the University of Washington's Suzzallo Library's map area, call numbers G4283.K3P22 and G4284.S4P22.  Most of the rest came from the Seattle Central Library's Seattle Room, which has considerably more of them than are catalogued (and also has many of the boldfaced ones I photographed at Suzzallo).

I didn't photograph any maps that I recognised as being by private companies or citizens, such as Rand McNally (believe it or not).  Some of those are at each library, and fill in some of the earlier gaps.

Sources for recent times

  • English Wikipedia sv "List of King County Metro bus routes", article started in 2009.
  • The Regional Transit Map Books produced by Sound Transit before it decided printing was beneath its dignity.  I didn't photograph all of those the Seattle Room has.
  • King County Metro, from February 1999 to September 2016, kept its archives of detailed service change announcements in a convenient table of links, before they discovered the joys of obfuscating things.  The Internet Archive preserves that trove of information.
  • The Seattle Transit Blog, to the extent that anything there is findable.

Books

  •  The Street Railway Era in Seattle:  A Chronicle of Six Decades by Leslie Blanchard, Forty Fort, Pennsylvania:  Harold E. Cox, c1968.
  • Routes:  An Interpretive History of Public Transportation in Metropolitan Seattle by Walt Crowley, commissioned by Metro Transit on the Occasion of its 20th Anniversary 1993, Prepared by Crowley Associates, Inc.  The manuscript, held by the Seattle Room, is reputedly vastly more detailed.
  • Transit:  The Story of Public Transportation in the Puget Sound Region by Jim Kershner and the Staff of HistoryLink, Seattle, WA:  HistoryLink / Documentary Media, c2019.

My impression is that all these authors prefer trains to buses, but I'm still wading through Blanchard's, so I could be wrong about the other two.

And now on to the Route 20 stops, dear Diary.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment