Saturday, February 13, 2021

SeaTac's Angle Lake Park in Snow

Dear Diary,

Yes, I know, you're my Seattle parks diary, so what's this interloper doing here?  Well, I could argue that comparing Seattle parks to parks elsewhere is a legitimate activity, but actually, some of the photos I lost when my previous phone was stolen were of the UW campus in snow, I couldn't realistically get there today, but I currently live close enough to Angle Lake Park, so...

Actually I first went there Thursday, on my way back to the motel from the grocery store.  (Here, the closest supermarket is over a mile away.)  It was snowing at the time, but none was sticking.  My visit today was somewhat different.

I don't know to what extent the rules have changed for SeaTac's homeless (who are not few) during the epidemic, but at this park, where rules are posted in many places, there's no hint of such relaxations as in Seattle.


There are many shelters there, in a variety of styles, but none have any walls, and neither Thursday nor today did I find any camped in.


On Thursday I found the restrooms open - stated opening time, 8 A.M. - but due to close at dusk, which wasn't all that far off at that time.  Now, dear Diary, if you examine the first photo above closely, you'll notice that the signs promise a gate opening by 8 A.M., but there's a visible bar.  Indeed, today when I went (around 11 A.M.) the gate was still locked, and so were the restrooms:



I'm not going to travel today, so I won't find out what happened in Seattle.  I'd like to believe the parks workers there thought ahead, and left more doors unlocked than usual, but can't know.  At least Seattle has some 24-hour restrooms, somewhere between four and seven pairs in North Seattle.  SeaTac's Department of Parks and Recreation has, it says, four parks with restrooms; one has hours even shorter than Angle Lake Park's, the other two are open 8 A.M. to 11 P.M., which is really good.  Except, probably, when it snows.

Angle Lake Park has an obvious attraction and a less obvious one.  It appears, from my new map of south King County, to be the only park on the lakefront.  All its paths are paved, which predisposed me to like it; but weirdly, its waterfront is too.  There's sand, all right, a coarse black and white kind like that found at the NW 57th St Street End and at Carkeek Park in Seattle, but shoreward of the sand are steps, pavement, down to the water.


Two more lake views:



The un-obvious attraction Angle Lake Park offers is that most of its trees are evergreen.  The only group of deciduous trees I found is the poplars in the foreground of this shot:


Other deciduous trees are scattered here and there, so there must be a smidgen of fall colour, but there certainly is plenty of winter green, and I'll end this excursion off-topic with more of it.  Back to North Seattle parks tomorrow, dear Diary.



No comments:

Post a Comment