Monday, December 27, 2021

Gratitude for Some Good News

Dear Diary,

Well, I certainly hadn't intended to write another page in you this soon, but it turns out Blogspot won't let me initiate a comment on your pages, although in the past it's allowed me to answer others' comments.

So in order to deliver a small but important piece of good news, I have to write a whole page.  C'est la vie.

A couple of days ago I wrote about a man thus:

"I found a middle-aged white man hunkered down in this back doorway, which was blocked on the inside by a small display, so clearly not meant for regular use, but still, I was amazed he was allowed to be there.

"He courteously got out of my way to take the photo.  We talked some, and agreed to meet again so I could put him in touch with cold weather gear; he gave me his number so that could happen.  However, he ghosted me today."

He got back to me yesterday saying that he'd met someone who'd allowed him to stay for a few days.

I also have a co-worker who has taken in an old friend who was at risk of becoming homeless.  This has gotten him into hot water with his landlord, and when the friend recently asked to bring his new girlfriend, who is homeless, in with him, the landlord said flatly no.  I wasn't clear on all this, but was worried about her, and got into touch with my co-worker this weekend.  She's staying with a friend of hers.

They say "Charity begins at home."  I'm not yet housed so securely that I could, for example, have taken that man in myself.  But I can only gape in awe of those who are doing so, as the city has gotten colder than it got at any time while I was homeless.  Those generous people may never know it, but they have my thanks, and my hopes that my former peers never make them regret their generosity.


No comments:

Post a Comment