Saturday, November 5, 2022

Winter has returned

Dear Diary,

For the first time since 2019:  "Seattle Parks and Recreation begins routine winter preparation of park facilities" by Christina Hirsch.  This is one reason I'm continuing to concentrate on the U-District:  I'm already too late to establish the baseline I wanted this year.  I probably won't start hiking North Seattle in general again until mid-December.

Some things very different this year from 2019, though:

Little Brook Park's inadequate restroom is somehow supposed to stay open.  (Or maybe it's been improved since I last visited over a year ago, but should I bet that way?)  Bureaucratically, still weirder, it's assigned to both the Northwest and the Northeast maintenance crews to keep it open.

Matthews Beach is again supposed to stay open.  I can't for the life of me figure out how Little Brook can do so, but if the guys are supposed to be opening Little Brook, there's really no excuse for keeping Matthews Beach locked, as I've found it previously.

Not only Loyal Heights Community Center, as in the past (but not 2020-2021), is supposed to be open, but also Salmon Bay Park.  Which brings open park restrooms several blocks closer to Ballard's homeless.

University Playground, whose restrooms were still locked when I visited a month ago (and have no heat), and Woodland Park "Rio" (Citywide Athletics), which I haven't visited in over a year despite its proximity to my house, are supposed to re-open.

But the biggest thing that's different?

"As part of the Park District 2023-2028 Financial Plan, Seattle Parks and Recreation is working to make all 129 public restrooms available for year-round use by the end of 2028."  With a link to the financial plan.

Wouldn't it be amazing if winter were no longer an excuse for keeping the Ballard Community Center's restrooms (doors opening to the outdoors, but rooms part of a large, heated, building) closed part of every year?  Boy, I want that financial plan to work out!

Good night, dear Diary.



No comments:

Post a Comment