Thursday, May 6, 2021

Another Hike in Fremont

Dear Diary,

This is the last page in which I'm telling you about my hikes yesterday.  This one covers Fremont, understood as reaching from N 50th St to the Ship Canal, and from Stone Way N to 1st Ave NW, but not including some sites near the Ship Canal covered in the previous page.

This page's predecessor, covering the parks of that area, is "All in the Dry Month of May".

EDIT 5/11:  Map:


The Seattle Public Library, Fremont branch

This is a much more photogenic library than Wallingford's:


but just as closed:


Troll's Knoll Park

This is the third place I had to re-visit from Saturday's hike, this one because I hadn't gone to its top to verify that no water fountain had been installed.  Well, none has:


Notice that that's a P-Patch, dear Diary.  But it isn't in the list I compiled from the 2021 real property report.  By this point in this hike it was becoming clear to me that if I really wanted to explore the P-Patches, SPU parks, and so forth fully this time, I should go to their websites for a second opinion.

But I wasn't going to do that on the road, so proceeded north.

Fire Station No. 9

I wasn't sure whether to include the active fire stations in what I told you about, dear Diary, because I don't think of them as places the public visits all that much.  During the years I lived on Roosevelt Way NE, I didn't once go into the fire station there.  They're places where people live, having to be ready for anything, and seems to me random strangers barging in just wouldn't help with that.

But it turns out in Seattle the fire department offers blood pressure checks, of all things, to the public.  So here goes.  An attempt at a postcard shot:


The not quite closed doors:


Fremont P-Patch

A typical photo:


A non-typical photo:


Parcel at 4707 Woodland Park Ave N

I mentioned two pages back that I thought Google Maps had probably lied in claiming to know where 398 NE 40th St was.  Here's why:  It put that address, which doesn't belong to any building, into the middle of NE 40th St.  Well, this address doesn't belong to any building either, and it did the same thing; but there's no median in Woodland Park Ave N there to confuse the issue.

There are traffic islands at a bunch of nearby intersections:


they're all prettily landscaped (though my phone's difficulties with colour make that less obvious), and maybe they all add up to the 1,055 square feet claimed for property number 84 (!) in Seattle's real property reports, but I doubt it.

Anyway, by this point I was tired, hungry, thirsty, and beginning to need to do Number One.  Especially thirsty, and since I hadn't found a working water fountain yet, I hurried home.

But that night I had to go back to NE 40th St, as also recounted two pages back, so I figured I should go back to confirm that B. F. Day Playground's water fountain still wasn't running.  Which it wasn't:


This is one of three water fountains that were running last October but aren't running now, that I encountered Saturday.  The next step is to go to other parts of North Seattle to get more information, and I expect to start that today.  Until later, dear Diary.


1 comment:

  1. I think the photo of the traffic island (I should know the technical name for it, given my job) turned out just fine. I also like the blog feature that opens a photo gallery when I click on the picture. 8^]

    ReplyDelete