Friday, May 21, 2021

Running water fountains FOUND in N, and northern NW

Dear Diary,

Today I went to thirteen parks.  I only crossed Ravenna Boulevard, but the other twelve all have, or are supposed to have, water fountains, and some have restrooms.

The big news is that I found water fountains actually running at Bitter Lake Playfield, Licton Springs Park, and Greenwood Park, the three last parks in the part of the city between NE and NW that I had to visit.   I also found that the double fountain in Crown Hill Park was running.

Also significant:  Licton Springs Park's restrooms are still closed.  All the trash left by the incredibly messy encampment that was there last year has been removed, but I guess the Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation isn't taking any chances on them returning, so isn't going to both turn on water fountains and open restrooms until there's reason to doubt that could happen.

Also significant:  I found additional water fountains at Bitter Lake Playfield and at Carkeek Park, or anyway its Environmental Learning Center; also, at Green Lake Park.  I'm sure these were there all the time; I just hadn't explored either northern park thoroughly, and since I hate walking on gravel, hadn't found Green Lake's non-trail fountain.  (I probably don't have enough years left to live to explore Carkeek thoroughly anyway.)  The additional one at Bitter Lake is near the playground, and is the one that's running at that park.  I did not, however, find the water fountain the parks department's web page for Baker Park on Crown Hill still claims is there.  Moreover, at that park I found a party of youngish people who admitted to remembering the park back to its re-opening from renovations last year, and none of them remembered ever seeing a water fountain there.

I've uploaded all relevant photos, and even a video (to show that Northacres Park's freeze-resistant water fountains are still not on), to the Google Drive folder I pointed to last time.  Here's the URL again:

<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cfrNdJI9NVY3ux7OoGI7B8Vg3Klq3liT?usp=sharing>

I got a little sloppy this time; I had to settle for a photo of the Carkeek Park women's room door with no newspaper in it, and for some water fountain a photo that didn't show my finger pushing the button.

Anyway, I have other things to do with my loud laptop before quiet time, so will tell you all about it tomorrow, dear Diary.  But briefly, here are the parks.  Their restrooms were open except at Licton Springs (and I didn't re-check Green Lake); their water fountains were not running except at the parks named above (but again, I didn't re-check Green Lake).

  • Ravenna Boulevard (neither fountains nor restrooms)
  • Maple Leaf Reservoir Park (both)
  • Northacres Park (both)
  • Bitter Lake Playfield (both)
  • Carkeek Park and Environmental Learning Center, Piper's Creek Natural Area, and Eddie McAbee Entrance (both)
  • Licton Springs Park (both)
  • Greenwood Park (both)
  • Sandel Playground (both)
  • Baker Park on Crown Hill (neither)
  • Crown Hill Park (just water fountains)
  • Soundview Playfield (both)
  • Golden Gardens Park, where I was when 7 P.M. came (both)
  • Green Lake Park (both, but I only photographed one fountain)

Good night, dear Diary.  Sweet dreams until tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment