Monday, December 21, 2020

Street Ends: Shilshole Bay

Dear Diary,

Here at last are the last remaining photos from my October hikes.  I have a few ideas, but will not be actively writing much in you until I finish the next set of hikes, probably starting tomorrow.

The street ends on this page are the first I encountered, on the first hike that led to the page "The Ballard Seacoast", part I.  So all four of them were introduced in that page, and all with photos.  Maybe it's self-indulgent of me, then, dear Diary, to show you these photos too, but at least that way I'll have presented the whole set more or less consistently.

And I was right:  These are the best group.  Maybe one of the other street ends is the best single one, but each one of these four is accessible and has amenities, and that isn't true of any other consecutive set in North Seattle.

34th Ave NW Street End (Salmon Bay Natural Area)

Google Maps knows this one only by the name of the sculpture in it, "A Salish Welcome", a picture of which is in the page already mentioned.

Photo 1 - The street that ends

Photo 2 - The land the city appears to claim


The sculpture is on the right.

Photo 3 - A view over the water

All the remaining photos 1 are up a small cliff from the street ends (i.e. photos 2 and 3).  Pretty typical of the street end thing, I guess.

36th Ave NW Street End (Seaview Picnic Park)

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

No, the water isn't all that accessible here.

NW 57th St Street End

Photo 1

Photo 2

Down the stair you can see is the beach you can't in this photo.  There's a photo or two of it in the page already mentioned.

Photo 3

NW 60th St Street End (NW 60th St Viewpoint)

Photo 1

You can see at the end of the block the viewpoint I originally thought was the public park NW 60th St Viewpoint, as narrated (with four photos of views) in "History and Parks", part II, June 25.

Photo 2

There must have been multiple people on the three benches for me to photograph that that way.

Photos 3

I took one photo from each bench, once the people had left.  There's a view in a direction no bench faces, however, so I shot that first.




Whew.  I'm not sure, dear Diary, when I'll next write in you.  Good night, and if, as seems likely, it's more than a few days, happy Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Somehow your photos have reminded me of Wir'Gen... and I think "you can practice your Whittling skill." ;]

    ReplyDelete