Friday, September 25, 2026

Abandoned Pages, part XII: Construction

Dear Diary,

We're now up to the current pages.

Why?

As I've mentioned already to you, dear Diary, I spent a lot of time in the first half of this year studying a discipline called project management.  So when an article appeared in The Seattle Times about projects in the parks, while my previously breakneck accounting class was in a lull, it felt like a sign from above.

What?

I talk about the projects, trying to learn about them and then offer what I've learnt.  I look for, and sometimes find, documents, especially plans, which are basically maps.  That's pretty much it.  Much less bureaucratic than library hours or everything hike work.

Why not?

It dawned on me that I was being much too slapdash about the current everything hike.  So I've started planning hikes to cover all the parks in some area.  The maps I'm using divide North Seattle into four pages, at 85th St and at 6th Ave NE.  Yes, NE is really bigger than N and NW put together.  Anyway, I'm currently working on the southwestern map, everything from Ballard to Green Lake, and that's more or less a dead zone on both the original article's map and my edited version of it, except for parks already covered - A. B. Ernst, Woodland and Meridian Playground.

What now?

The northwest is next, including several parks that certainly belong in the page, so in early October, "Under Construction" should revive just fine.

Whether I'll revive it again in the future, I'm not sure.  It's a good fit for me personally, but it sure involves a lot of playgrounds, which aren't such a good fit for you, dear Diary.  Also, I'd have to come up with new page titles every year, sort of like the library hours ones.  And probably make it a bit more bureaucratic, with a clearer basis for inclusion in a given year.

So.  Comments matter here.

Good day, dear Diary.  I'll probably be back tonight to write part XIII.  Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment