Dear Diary,
I was going to wait until Saturday to tell you what's in this part, and then another week for part III, but after tonight's hike, I don't see the point.
As you know, dear Diary, I'm not doing "Building a Baseline" the way I wanted to, because that way wouldn't have gotten me to all the Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation water fountains before they started getting turned off. And that, in turn, was because Parks didn't get me a trustworthy list of water fountains when I asked for one. So instead I'm making a mad dash to visit all of Parks's locations looking for water fountains.
And the obvious place to start, dear Diary, the richest trove of close-together Parks locations, is where we in fact started way back when, in the U-District. Well, I decided to combine it with Ravenna, and trying to follow all the trails in Ravenna and Cowen parks soaked up much of a day. But on Friday, September 11, I finally arrived at University Playground at 8:47 am and found the restrooms not open yet.
Only wait a minute. Didn't I see in the popular tool Parks runs, "Find a Restroom in a Park", that University Playground's restrooms are not only open, but open 24 hours? Yep, there it is:
Now, how could it be that someone went to University Playground on September 10 specifically to close its restrooms so they'd be respectfully closed on the anniversary?
Still, I thought it better to wait to say anything. So I wrote part I of this page even after getting photos at 2:30 pm on the 12th:
and without mentioning it. And then on the 13th, imagine, dear Diary, my surprise when I showed up at 3:30 pm and found this:So, tonight. I'd been more careful than on September 5th, but the house I live in has a "quiet time", and I had a sandwich at home I wanted to eat, so I wanted to wash my hands.
I didn't get going until pretty late, indeed not, as I'd thought, within "park hours" (6 am to 10 pm), but I was so optimistic. Only to find that women's room not only locked but chained and padlocked as if to shout as loudly as possible, "Yes, you want it, but we won't let you have it". And I didn't even actually want it - with my luck, the woman of my dreams would show up while I was washing my hands and shriek in horror.
So on I went to the nearest, at that point, of the city's other official 24-hour restrooms, at Gas Works Park. Where I wandered for some time before accepting that the old restroom building was gone. It's been replaced by three single-user stalls, which is definitely fewer than the old building had,
and are you surprised, dear Diary, to hear they were all locked?
At this point, I can't even pretend to care whether the remaining one, the Portland Loo at Ballard Commons, has an external lock or not. Obviously the list of restrooms open "park hours" in the "Find a Restroom in a Park" tool is simply another batch of lies from the Parks department.
Your readers, dear Diary, may be able to play along at home! So here are the ones not in North Seattle:
- Alki Beach 57th Ave SW
- Alki Beach 63rd Ave SW
- Alki Beach Bathhouse
- Armeni Boat Ramp
- Discovery Park South Bluff
- Queen Anne Bowl
- Seacrest Park
- South Park Community Center
Are any of those really open 24 hours? Let us know!
Two details to finish up with before part III. All the restrooms I'm talking about are, according to the now tainted tool, open "park hours", not "24 hours". Why is that? Well, Parks wouldn't want to encourage any lawbreaking in pursuit of anything so trivial as the cessation of pain, now would they?
But it only takes a moment's thought to see this as a charade. First of all, Parks only has a few schedules for their parks. To take North Seattle alone, Green Lake Park and Ballard Commons close at 11:30 pm, Gas Works Park and University Playground at 10 pm. Are they really keeping two staffers busy at such hours locking restrooms in North Seattle?
Second, nobody but homeless people with smartphones is going to care about restrooms open "park hours". The point of the charade is to associate the reliable 24-hour restrooms at Green Lake with all these lies, to make the lies easier to swallow. Why they'd want to make lies easier to swallow, though, I have no idea. Is the person in charge of the tool a sadist?
And Green Lake is the other detail. On September 5th I visited that park's North restrooms (in the tool, and in Parks parlance, "wading pool"). And tonight I finally washed my hands at the 64th St restrooms ("65th St"). For some reason they don't lie about the real 24-hour restrooms at Green Lake.
This is a depressing page, dear Diary, and I'm afraid the only way I can offer hope in the next part, coming up soon, is based on the premise of Seattle doing things right. Well, Parks wouldn't have gotten away with what they're doing if Seattle were in the habit of doing things right.






No comments:
Post a Comment