Dear Diary,
Lake City Mini-Park is one of at least seven City of Seattle properties named after Lake City, in the area I think of as downtown Lake City. It's the least promising of these properties, in fact, being a concrete slab adjacent to office buildings on one side and traffic on the other. Now, Westlake Park, in Seattle as a whole's downtown, could be described much the same way. But Westlake Park is much bigger, so more flexible. And in recent years, the Downtown Seattle Association has taken the job of Activating Westlake Park off the hands of the Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation. (For an example of both facts, I offer a concert I attended in July in Westlake Park.) Parks has no such handy partner in downtown Lake City.
So every few years, Parks tries to change the physical setup of the park in hopes that this will encourage Activation.
The official page of the park currently says very little, and, to my astonishment, advertises the DSA's Activation of that other downtown.
However, the "engagement hub" for the most recent Activation attempt, last updated in February of this year, still survives, and has all the details.
"lighting"
I don't remember whether the Christmas-like lights strung across the space were there before. I didn't see any other obvious lights.
"ornamental fencing"I think this, functional as well as ornamental, actually may be new:
"new operating hours"Shorter operating hours are seen as discouraging riffraff, so as indirectly Activating, but Lake City Mini-Park's hours are currently at the longest setting, so what I think this means is a new physical sign:
"public art"
I didn't see it. I took a photo of a mural I didn't recognise, but it turned out to be shown in a photo from a report dated August 30, 2025 by Jonathan Choe, and the only other thing I identified as art is a rather weathered arch that I'm pretty sure I've shown you before, dear Diary.
"landscaping"
Say what? How do you landscape concrete slabs?
"new bistro furniture"
This, I did see. Three tables, three chairs, that were much appreciated by the people I found there, although those people may not have been normal Activation targets.
So my tentative judgement is that this project did not completely alter Lake City Mini-Park's clientele, but may have made the park more useful to its existing clientele.




No comments:
Post a Comment