Monday, September 28, 2026

Under Construction, part X: Meridian Playground Tilth After

Dear Diary,

Silly me.  I thought I knew Meridian Playground pretty well by now, but I thought wrong.  You see, I'd never seriously investigated the park's southern tier.

Turns out there are two institutions in there:  the Good Shepherd P-Patch, and what the older real property reports called (in all caps) "Meridian Playground:  Tilth".

Tilth Alliance calls the parts it occupies "Good Shepherd Center" and "Children's Learning Garden".  The former, as they portray it, includes "a 12-acre park and a farmer's market", which is, methinks, putting the cart miles before the horse.  But it also, more honestly, claims a "solar greenhouse", our topic now.

Let's get a closer look at the bottom sign: 

So this is construction in a Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation park during 2026.  Which is the criterion for this page.  I never said the department had to pay for it.

Firefox makes it a hassle for me to show you lots of photos, dear Diary, so I'm just going to end with four photos of something you're unlikely to get another chance to see, a newly renovated solar greenhouse.  The planted roof visible in the last photo is considerably older than the renovation, dating back to 1974 according to a nearby sign.

Thursday, I hope to write part XV of "Abandoned Pages".  And sometime around then, the state of the baseline halfway.  Happy days and nights until then, dear Diary.




Huh.  Firefox apparently swallows four photos easier than one.  I have one more, a photo in which the motifs near the door in the third photo above reappear inlaid in the ground as a five-pointed star, or maybe a starfish, for children's play.  This is a little east of the greenhouse.  The photo isn't at all good, but the effect is neat up close, so anyone who visits for the greenhouse should also check this out.

Again, happy days and nights.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment