Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Two Magnuson Park Questions Tentatively Answered

Dear Diary,

I don't know whether anything changed today north of 45th St, but Burke-Gilman Playground Park's restrooms were open when I got there, shortly after 8 A.M., and Ravenna Park's were still open when I left there, at 7:19 P.M.

It dawned on me that I'd probably be unable to get to Magnuson Park for some time, and I had questions left over from last time.  Specifically, I wanted to look more carefully for water fountains; and I wanted to put my impression from last time, that there are no "hand-washing stations", on a firmer footing.

Well, I got very different results for these two questions.  I only looked for the hand-washing stations near the "sanicans", and I may have found all of those, without one hand-washing station in sight.  But I only found four water fountains; surely a park of that size has more than that?  Anyway, none of them were running.

My phone was dying the entire time, so I didn't take a lot of photos, and anyway, who wants to see dozens of pictures of "sanicans"?  So my evidence consists only of telling you where the "sanicans" I found are, so you can look for yourself.  Here, then, is a tour of Warren G. Magnuson Park.

Northwest


Magnuson Park is a rectangle with protrusions on the northwest and the southeast.  I used as my guide for the tour the newer map referenced in my last post, because it shows "sanican" locations.  Here's the northwest on that map:


North is to your left on this map; east is up.

This map shows restrooms with a bright blue restroom symbol, and "sanicans" with a teal version.  This heavily built up area not only has the two "sanicans" mapped above, but another, the only one I found in the park of a different brand, behind Building 2.  Near that is an "emergency shower and eyewash".  I'm not sure it's currently usable, and anyway an alarm is supposed to sound when it's used, so I don't recommend it to members of the general public, whether housed or homeless.

74th Street Entrance



This area has a real restroom, not shown on this map and still not "seasonally" open:


It also has a bunch of "sanicans", mostly where the map shows them, but there's now one northwest of the Brig, and the one that's supposed to be between Fields 6 and 11 is missing:


The one mapped as near the dogs' off-leash area is actually inside it.  Also there are two devices for drawing water for dogs.  I didn't figure either one out, but water was on the ground near each.  Looks like, on April 29, dogs are allowed water in Magnuson Park, but not people.  In particular a water fountain south of the playground isn't running.

North central and coast



As you see, this area has the two real restrooms currently open.  It also has unmapped "sanicans":  two near the coastal restroom, and one outside the entrance to the off-leash beach.

The interior men's room had a new soap dispenser, but some guys had apparently found the sturdiness of park toilets a challenge, and had somehow blocked both.  I didn't check whether the dryer in the coastal men's room had been fixed.  Neither water fountain near these restrooms was running.  I wanted to take pictures of neat stuff, but haven't really noticed much in this park, let alone near the restrooms.  But I do like the beach's ducks (sorry it's such a bad shot):



I neglected to look for "sanicans" near parking lot E4, and deliberately ignored most of the off leash area.

South Coast


This area has the recently deceased restroom.  On this visit a thin but steady stream of water was flowing from it.  It has two unmapped "sanicans" near it; its water fountain, damaged but usable, isn't running.  The mapped "sanicans" are still there.  I didn't enter the area labelled "Wetlands Central", nor the eastern trails in Promontory Point.

Southeast (Promontory Point)



The "sanicans" shown are still in parking lot E5.  I did walk the western trails of Promontory Point and saw no plumbing, but there's an unmapped "sanican" at their entrance on 65th Ave.

South Central



This area is entirely covered in other maps above.

65th Street Entrance



The southern two "sanicans" on Sportsfield Drive are still there.  I didn't investigate the areas south of 65th Street here.

Whew, dear Diary.  I hope to have more actual news for you next time I go to Magnuson Park.  As a sendoff, something from a permission wall south of Cross Park Trail:


No comments:

Post a Comment