Friday, October 2, 2020

Water Fountains - an Interim Report, Part I

 Dear Diary,

I'd hoped that the sudden turning on of seven water fountains in the area I've concentrated on represented a general resumption of service all over North Seattle, or indeed all over town.  The trip I mentioned in the page I already wrote in you today, dear Diary, was meant to document progress towards that.  I now seriously doubt fountains really have been turned on all over town, but a case could still be made, so I expect to go hiking again soon, further than this page and its sequel document, to see.

I made a series of hikes to check convenient water fountains, one already mentioned several weeks ago, then several more this past week.  If I go in order, dear Diary, you'll see why I doubt that the few days' delay in reporting these more recent hikes made any difference.

September 17

A hike with my phone low on power, as it was when I first wrote this sentence, from the Northeast branch of the Seattle Public Library to the University of Washington's main Seattle campus to charge that phone.  So no photos.  Roughly 5 P.M. to 11 P.M.

Results:

Dahl Playfield - This time I explored some.  I'm now pretty sure this is the only water fountain there.
Water fountain attached to the restroom building - NOT RUNNING (as I first reported May 6, "Go North, Aging Man!")

Ravenna-Eckstein Park
Freestanding water fountain near the Community Center on its west side - NOT RUNNING (same first report)

Bryant Playground
Freestanding water fountain between the tennis and basketball courts (not easily reached without stairs) - NOT RUNNING (same first report)

View Ridge Playfield
Freestanding water fountain behind one side of the home plate-centred baseball structure - NOT RUNNING (same first report)

Magnuson Park
Freestanding water fountain between the playground and a parking lot - NOT RUNNING (as I first reported April 29, "Two Magnuson Park Questions Tentatively Answered")

Freestanding water fountain near the central restrooms - ON (overshoots its bowl; good water; I haven't previously reported on this being on; same first report for it being off before that)

Water fountain attached to the beach restroom building - ON (good water; can only overshoot its bowl when nothing else is competing for its water; I speculated that something I'd overheard meant it was on, July 30 in "Amazing Water Fountain News", but had not reported it before this page; earlier pages implied this fountain was off, but same first clear report)
On this trip I first became aware that there's a shower next to that water fountain.  (Really, I'm not the most observant person.) Photo below.

Damaged water fountain near damaged former restroom building - now UNUSABLY DAMAGED.  (It had been possible to push the machinery in such a way that one could reasonably expect water to come out, as shown in a photo in April 24, "Magnuson Park:  Things We've Lost, Part I"; parts are now missing such that that's no longer possible.)

Laurelhurst Playfield
For all of these, I first reported that they were off April 25 in "Our Main Characters", and first reported that they were on July 30 in "Amazing Water Fountain News"

Freestanding water fountain near the tennis courts - ON (I saw it turned on July 29; on my latest visit there, listed below, gave quite warm water, so I'm waiting to see what it does on a colder day)

Freestanding double water fountain behind home plate of the southwestern baseball diamond - ON (the lower faucet overshoots the bowl, the upper has rather less flow)

Freestanding water fountain near home plate of the northeastern baseball diamond - ON (the upper faucet overshoots the bowl, and gives good water; the lower has so little flow I doubt it can easily be drunk)

Burke-Gilman Playground Park
Water fountain attached to the restroom building - ON (my preferred water at present; I first reported this fountain on April 22 in "Magnuson Park Has a Warm-Water Sink!", then that it had been turned off July 17 in "Momentous News", probably at least a week after the event, and finally that it was back on August 25 in "Some News")

Burke-Gilman Trail
Freestanding street water fountain near 30th Ave - ON (I don't think I've drunk from this this year, but used to give good water; first reported off May 1 in "Water Fountains:  Things We've Lost, Part II", then on August 25 in "Some News")

Ravenna Park
Double freestanding water fountain among the picnic tables near the "lower" restroom building - ON (I remember this as rather hard water, and haven't drunk from it this year; first reported off April 25 in "Our Main Characters", then on July 30 in "Amazing Water Fountain News", but then it had an overshooting tap and a lower-flow one, while now both taps are so low as to be hard to drink from)

Freestanding water fountain near the "upper" restroom building - ON (rather hard water; first reported on April 27 in "FOUND:  Park Drinking Water NEAR UW!!")

Cowen Park
Freestanding water fountain sort of near the playground - ON (first reported off April 25 in "Our Main Characters", then on August 25 in "Some News")

Whew, dear Diary!  Although I've now introduced most of the fountains, the other hikes produced photos, so I'd best stop here for now.  Until later, or more probably tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment