Saturday, October 3, 2020

Water Fountains - an Interim Report, Part II

Dear Diary,

The last page I wrote in you re-introduced in some detail, by location, characteristics, and where I'd written about them before, sixteen water fountains and what I found of them on a mostly night hike September 17.  This page reports on eleven of those fountains as seen again September 28.  None had changed status, among on, off or damaged.

September 28

As on the 17th, a hike from the Northeast branch of the Seattle Public Library to the UW campus, but this time mostly by day, with a somewhat better charged phone, so I could take some pictures.  It was still way too hot for me for hiking, so I only reached eleven of the sixteen fountains covered on the 17th, and wound up in a different part of campus.  I took some pictures for specific reasons, but mainly in a misguided attempt to convey how I saw the northern parks, of which I've shown you, dear Diary, few pictures so far.  It seems I see mainly grass in them.  Sorry.

Dahl Playfield - NOT RUNNING
Although on this visit I actually found some neat stuff here - a sort of micro-scale woods with a path through it - I definitely see this park mainly as big grassy swards meant for athletic use, so this time I wanted a picture of grass:


Ravenna-Eckstein Park - Probably NOT RUNNING, but officially DANGEROUS, believe it or not:

I think of this park as crowded with features that usually in turn crowd it with people.  I have no idea how trying to photograph that without including the people got me so much grass:


Bryant Playground - NOT RUNNING
I think of this park as topographically challenged:

View Ridge Playfield - NOT RUNNING
Of course, I went to the spot from which I once shot a night view to shoot a day one:

Enough of that.  The two remaining parks in this page, you've already, dear Diary, seen in plenty of photos.  I still took some in Magnuson Park, but not in Laurelhurst Playfield.  I also took one on the way.  Since my previous trip's route to Magnuson Park, along 65th St, had resulted in wailing and lamentation, I tried 75th St this time, and thus found another park not Parks', near 50th Ave.  This is a Seattle Public Utilities site across 75th from the Sand Point Country Club.  For some reason they've gone to a lot of trouble to gussy it up, but have then slapped a fence around most of it:

Of course there were also tears and the gnashing of teeth along this route - not on 75th, and not in the neighbourhood of switchbacks between 75th and Sand Point Way, but rather in the epic struggle to walk the three blocks from 77th to 74th Sts along Sand Point, a part of it not designed for the human form.

But in the fullness of time, yea, I reached

Magnuson Park
Playground fountain - NOT RUNNING
I still haven't seen the restroom more or less tied to this fountain - though actually pretty far away - open, though in fairness I also haven't looked during calendrical summer.  Yet another door shot:

Central fountain - ON; a shot of it overshooting its bowl:

Beach fountain - ON; a shot of the adjacent shower:

Southern fountain - has gone from USABLY to UNUSABLY DAMAGED.  A shot; if you compare it to the one from April, the main difference is a white part you can see in that shot, but not below:

Finally,

Laurelhurst Playfield - all fountains ON

My phone was by then really low on power, and by the time I'd rested, night was falling, so I left and ended the hike.

Next part, probably this evening, downtown and Capitol Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment