Saturday, October 3, 2020

Water Fountains - an Interim Report, Part III

 Dear Diary,

You probably remember that the last two pages I wrote in you concerned two trips to many water fountains that found a geographical pattern in their status as on or not.  This page concerns two more trips.

September 30

On this day I showered, changed clothes, and got my mail.  These errands put me close to Cal Anderson Park and to some previously mentioned street water fountains.  The addresses below lack direction markers and are not in "NE".

Freestanding street water fountain in front of the Bartell Drugs store at 5th Ave and Westlake Ave - UNUSABLY DAMAGED (as I first reported May 1 in "Water Fountains:  Things We've Lost, Part II")


Freestanding street water fountain on 4th Ave in front of Freeway Park, between Pine and Pike Streets - NOT RUNNING (same first report)

(The person whose legs are in the shot was with me that day and gave permission.)

Freestanding street water fountain on 3rd Ave just south of Union St, in front of the downtown Post Office - NOT RUNNING (same first report)



Freestanding street water fountain at 1st Ave and Pike St, across the street from a main entrance to Pike Place Market - UNUSABLY DAMAGED (as I first reported June 18 in "Ways to Fight Water Addiction")

Cal Anderson Park
I actually didn't bother to check the fancy, huge, winterised new fountain in the park.  It's just that I'd forgotten this park has two drinking fountains - the other is reachable only across gravel, which I disliked walking on long before I had a cart to worry about.

Freestanding water fountain near the water tower - ON (my first report this year)


This means I've been worrying sort of needlessly about water on Capitol Hill - no, I don't think the fountains known to me in Volunteer Park are enough, and the library is open too few hours.  However, this fountain will be shut off sometime next month, whereas the formerly running street fountain in front of Rite Aid, and Cal Anderson Park's own new main fountain, would both have run most or all of the coming months.

October 1

A hike from Burke-Gilman Playground ending at the UW campus, phone charged along the way, begun in morning but extremely lazily conducted and not finished until night.  Covered the five last fountains visited September 17 (Part I) but not re-visited September 28 (Part II) plus three more.

Burke-Gilman Playground Park - ON

Street fountain on Burke-Gilman Trail at 30th Ave - ON
I said a while ago that I liked to photograph this fountain, but it had been some time since I did so.  Here are two:




Ravenna Park - both fountains ON but the double "lower" one difficult to drink from, as on September 17.

Cowen Park - ON

Freestanding street fountain on 15th Ave a bit nearer 43rd than 42nd Streets - ON AND USABLY DAMAGED (good water; first reported on May 1 in "The Curious Incident of the Light in the Night-Time", but I'm not sure when I first noticed its missing drain)

Christie Park
For more on this now reopened park, see the page after next, today or tomorrow.
Freestanding double water fountain near the ping-pong table - ON (both faucets giving reasonable streams)

University Playground
Freestanding water fountain near the women's room - UNUSABLY DAMAGED
I first reported this off April 25 in "Our Major Characters".  The October 1 hike is the first time I heard water move in response to my pushing the tap, but none came out.  I don't know whether the damage visible below is vandalism or a plumber's effort to find the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment