I've visited Meridian Playground a bunch of times, recently, waiting for the fences to go up. I know, now, why they haven't. But first some context.
Meridian Playground is a fairly big park between N 47th St, Meridian Ave N, the Good Shepherd Center, and N 50th St. Unlike the past several projects I've written about, I have no real complaints with regard to this one, although this is the main project that led me to say Access is a magic word to park project managers.
"This project aims to make site improvements to the play area ... The project also improves accessibility to the play area and restrooms.
"Most components of the play area were constructed in the early 1980s, and revised in 2002, and some equipment was replaced ... in 2011."
In other words, this is some seriously tired playground equipment, older than most of the kids' parents, and on my first visit July 23rd, it looked tired, too.
It was easy to tell which was the equipment new in 2011, too:
What I couldn't figure out, though, was how the project was going to make the playground more accessible. See all those curbs in the foreground of this photo? There are curbs aplenty in this place, and walls, and even stairs:
The thing that was going to serve Access was a new path between the Good Shepherd Center parking lots and the area where the playground and restrooms are. So on July 30th, I went planning to blaze a trail through the woods, and was completely gobsmacked to discover that this path already exists. Not least because that meant I need never have damaged my carts on the crude pavement of the N Bagley St entrance.
But here's the thing: Most Access projects described at the parks website emphasise that standards change, and what was good enough in the 1990s isn't good enough today. Well, but actually, I'm pretty sure that path wasn't wide enough for the 1990s either. If you go from the park side, it's plenty wide, right up until about where the park/center boundary must be, and then it narrows drastically. Sure, my cart would fit, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a wheelchair that would.
So even if, as it sounds like at the project page and in its linked documents (4 page PDF), they leave all those walls, curbs and stairs where they are, there's still a solid win for real access in making the restrooms wheelchair accessible. And they're also planning to remodel the restrooms to make them work better for people with that kind of disability too.
Still ... The Good Shepherd Center has north and south parking lots. There are, of course, no stairs at their entrances. But the Center warns pedestrians not to use those entrances - and of course, there are stairs at the middle path. Three shallow steps, as if to say "No" just to be difficult.
So yes, I still think Access is a magic word for Parks project managers.
Anyway, none of that is why the project is behind schedule. It's behind schedule because of a stupendously successful marketing campaign.
"Picnic in the Park". Who knew?It turns out that the Wallingford Farmers Market, held in Meridian Playground, is the closest to my house, somewhat nearer than the U-District one. The fact that I hadn't known this, dear Diary, tells you all you need to know about how much attention I pay to farmers markets, which I could never afford in my first years in Seattle.
So there I was, on August 19th, and so were hundreds of other people, including a purely amazing number of children. I think the average age in that park was probably not much over 20. And that tired old playground equipment was in glory.
So I predicted then, and the project page already said before July ended, a start date of November for this project, after the market shuts down for the winter. I don't envy the construction workers.
Well, dear Diary, I'd hoped to tell you the much more boring story of construction in Woodland Park tonight as well, but I'd better go back to real property reports instead. Until tomorrow, then, dear Diary.




No comments:
Post a Comment